Thursday, November 04, 2004

Do I pray right?

Ok so a friend and I were talking, and we dicussed how we prayed. We both noticed that we tend to say things like: "Lord please give me the strength, Lord allow me to love like you want me to, Lord please give me wisdom, etc." Is there something wrong with those kind of prayers?

If God is our ROCK, our SALVATION, our EVERYTHING...then maybe there is an issue. We both noticed that those prayers don't put the emphasis on God but on ourselves...(i.e. Lord give "ME")...in otherwords Lord I can do it if only....where is the reliance on God?

How then should I pray? Maybe it should be something more like this..."Lord be my strength, Lord be my love, Lord be my wisdom or Lord let my wisdom be in you, etc." I know it may be a symmantic issue, but we decided that the way we pray can reveal our unconcious heart. Who we want in control...God or us. Lord BE!...not only Lord Be in my life....BUT.....Lord Be my life!

Die to ourselves to live for God and let him be in charge! Shouldn't we show God that in the way we pray too!?

No comments: