Thursday, May 12, 2005

Buying stolen cars...

So another reason not to go to auctions...the car you buy is a stolen vehicle.


Ya..that is what happened to me. I was on my way to get the title for the vehicle and I get a phone call from the sherriff's dept. "Mr. Corr...were you aware that the 1950 Suburban you have purchased may be a stolen vehicle?!" (WTF! what I say to myself in my head).

"Ummm...No!" I reply

"Well actually sir, it was a "misplaced" vehicle two years ago and it has come to our attention that you may have said vehicle"...the sergent

"Really...but we have the title"..."am I in trouble"...

"No...it is a civil matter now and I will leave it up to you and the previous owners to decide what to do."...end of conversation

So I get the owners telephone # and give 'em a call. They are surprised and interested in coming to see the vehicle. Now legally the vehicle belongs to me...even though circumstances took it out the their possession 2 years ago. But I tried to do the "right" thing and let them see if they wanted it back. Long story short...that was Saturday, and they haven't gotten back to me after they looked at it. So I still have my cool 50's cruiser...for now.

Of all the luck!

3 comments:

VRA said...

Did they have insurance on the vehicle and claim it as stolen or lost? If so...then legally the vehicle belongs to the insurance company. They would come reposess the vehicle and you and the seller would have to fight it out in civil court, if he was unwilling to refund your money!

The Professor said...

actually they had no insurance on it...and the police dept. wouldn't issue a stolen vehicle report for whatever the reason. So they don't have much claim to the vehicle...I just don't want to end up in court over a civil matter.

The Professor said...

***UPDATE***

So I met with the previous owners over the weekend at the race track. They like me...and want me to come race with them whenever I finally get the Beetle done. In fact, the liked me so much they decided I could keep the Burbon, and are going to get me the original motor and transmission for it.

So excited!!

Now if I could just convince Holly it is a good idea to have two project cars...