Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Coolest Teacher Award

I got the most amazing thing today when I got to school. A student whom I taught last year was recognized by Scholastic Services as an outstanding student and has the chance to get some major college scholarships. In doing so, they asked her to nominate her most influential teacher that she has had. She nominated me and they sent me a certificate in recognition. I almost cried. It was the single coolest thing a student has done for me in my short teaching career.

A little background on this student. She took art as a whim...and she just had a natural talent. I encouraged her and she got really good. Her effort and determination is what made her so good. This year she came to my room to tell me that she was moving schools because her family situation was bad. I was disappointed because I thought that Mason had the better art program and thought she would get more experience here. HMB and I saw her at the mall during Christmas and that was the last time I have heard from her until today.

It's amazing how sometimes you never know who you effect and how you effect them. God allows them to grow and sometimes you never see the end results. Thank you God for letting me know with this student, and that I am being effective because He allows me to be.

No comments: